Interesting facts about obesity
1. Being overweight was once considered a sign of wealth. It wasn’t until 1997 that the World Health Organization declared it a disease. (So why won’t insurance companies pay for treatment?)
2. 33% of all deaths in the US are associated with obesity.
3. 60% of all diabetics worldwide are caused by obesity
4.Many cancers, including kidney, thyroid and gallbladder are associated with obesity.
5. The reason for the increased risk of cancer in obesity is due to:
Fat cells that stimulate cell growth
High insulin levels promote the growth of certain tumors
Belly fat causes chronic inflammation in the body, which leads to oxidation and degeneration of cells, thereby increasing cancer risk
6. Among the 4 largest ethnic groups in America, the highest incidence occurs in Latinos, followed by blacks, whites and then Asians.
7. The incidence of obesity is highest in men and women who have lower education and income levels
8.The USA has a higher obesity rate than Great Britain, Saudi Arabia and Mexico
9. Of all the major countries in the world, only The Netherlands was able to lower obesity levels in 2013.
10. Soda and fast foods are a leading cause of obesity and both France and Canada have enacted a direct tax on soda to try to discourage people from buying it.
11. The direct medical cost of obesity in the US is $147 billion a year!